Method Community

Method Tables - Altering Fields Intended for Integration

Last post 08-27-2009 7:58 AM by Joe. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-25-2009 9:41 AM

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Method Tables - Altering Fields Intended for Integration

Hi.

I have

Given: The CreditLimit field exists in a method table as a decimal value.

Goal:

1) Change credit limit to a drop down field pointed to a list of default values that (may/may not) be choosed from.

2) Validate the data to still only allow numbers and decimal points in the text box

Question(s):

1) Can this be done without deleting the field.

2) Will this cause any problems between method / quickbooks ?

Thx,

~Joe

• 08-25-2009 3:57 PM In reply to

Re: Method Tables - Altering Fields Intended for Integration

Hi Joe,

No, you are not able to change the field type after you have already defined the field in the Method table. You can however add an additional field such as a dropdown list.

Yes, you can validate a textbox to only allow numbers and decimals by using the Character function action to determine if the entry is numeric. Depending where you want to go from there, use the Start Conditional Statement or the Conditional Warning to prevent the entry from being saved if it is not numeric. My suggestion is to add these actions to either the Save button on the screen or to the text box directly (on event lose focus or text change).

Keep in mind a text box is something that you can enter data into freely whereas a dropdown is something that you’ll be required to make a selection from the existing list. Basically if the dropdown choices are the numbers 1, 2 and 3 you cannot enter 4 unless of course you add that to the list.

You shouldn’t have to delete the field. What table is the field coming from? If this field synchs directly with QuickBooks it may cause other issues to occur if it is deleted.

Hope that helps,

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 08-26-2009 7:48 AM In reply to

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

"You shouldn’t have to delete the field. What table is the field coming from? If this field synch"

I was wanting to allow certain text fields not only be able to contained typed in values, but also have a list of predefined values for convenience.

An example might be the TextBox for CreditLimit set to be a decimal value. I'd like to allow the end-user to type in that decimal value, but also be able to choose 1,000 - 5,000 - 10,000 ... etc etc .. from a list in a dropdown. I do not, however, wish to take away the default integration with quickbooks. I had assumed if this could work i would involve deleting the field and recreating it with the same name as a dropdown and playing some games with "TextChange" to make non-listed values usable.

At the moment i'm not quite sure about this one.

Keep me posted =)

Thx,

~Joe

• 08-26-2009 1:41 PM In reply to

Joe,

It sounds like you are trying to combine the characteristic that define two individual field types of the texbox and the dropdown which is something that cannot be done.

Consider this, use a radio button that lists the predefined values for convenience as well as an option called ‘other’. If you select one of the predefined values have it update the textbox but keep it hidden. On the other hand if you select ‘Other’ then use the show/hide action to display the textbox and allow for the entry.

Hope that helps,

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 08-27-2009 7:58 AM In reply to

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

"Consider this, use a radio button that lists..."

Its just not practical to use radio buttons when there are more than 3-4 choices. There could be up to 20 predefined Items in the list.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)