Method Community

Can't check automatically add field to default screens.

Last post 08-25-2012 6:47 PM by dottie. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-24-2012 2:31 PM

Can't check automatically add field to default screens.

I'm trying to add a field and it does not allow me to to check the box that indicates that it will automatically add field to default screens. Please advise.

• 08-24-2012 2:49 PM In reply to

Re: Can't check automatically add field to default screens.

dottie:
    I'm trying to add a field and it does not allow me to to check the box that indicates that it will automatically add field to default screens.

dottie - I'm not sure what you're trying to do here.  Could you provide more detail and/or a screen shot to show me where you're working.

~C

• 08-24-2012 2:57 PM In reply to

Answer

dottie:
    I'm trying to add a field and it does not allow me to to check the box that indicates that it will automatically add field to default screens.

dottie, sorry for the mix-up - you're talking about the tables/fields screen and you're hoping to have new fields added to an existing table applied to a screen already built?  Unfortunately this only happens automatically when you first create a brand new table.  After you enter a table name and click continue there's an option to automatically create a new screen based off this table.  It's extremely handy but this is the only place where we build the screen for you.

Anytime you edit an existing table you'll need to add the field to the screen through the screen designer.

~C

• 08-24-2012 3:00 PM In reply to

dd a New Field Add a Linked Field

Field name:  
    Field Type:
    Automatically add field to default screens
    Unique - disabled because table has 236 record(s). Must be an empty table to set this property.
    Required - disabled because table has 236 record(s). Must be an empty table to set this property.

I can't check the first box. Automatically add field to default screens. I'm in Tables/Fields, Fields for Customer.

• 08-24-2012 3:27 PM In reply to

Ok that makes sense but the field I want to add is a drop down. However, after I add the field it does not offer me the option to enter what I want my drop downs to be. This might be a separate issue of what Im trying to do. 

What I need to do is I want to add a field that already exists in the additonal info/payment & job info section within each customer. It is called job status and it has a selection of drop downs like in progress, pending, closed, etc.. This drop down is a field that is already provided ny quickbooks. What I want to do is plug this info into the main screen in my Customer/Contact list so I can filter the jobs by job status and it must match the info coming from inside the customer as it updates when needed.

• 08-24-2012 4:24 PM In reply to

dottie, I didn't explain the why you can't do this.  

When you add a field to a existing table there is no way for us to figure out where on the screen you want that field to go so we may mess up an existing screen.  It may be a required field which would further complicate automatically adding a field.  The only option we provide for automatically adding a new field is when you're creating a brand new screen - a new screen allows us to determine the placement and function of everything for you.

However, after I add the field it does not offer me the option to enter what I want my drop downs to be. This might be a separate issue of what Im trying to do. 

If the new field you're trying to add is a dropdown select dropdown from the field type list and click add field.  You'll get a popup window and be prompted to either create a new table or choose from an existing table.

What I want to do is plug this info into the main screen in my Customer/Contact list so I can filter the jobs by job status and it must match the info coming from inside the customer as it updates when needed.

You'll need to make a copy of the CRM_CustomerList screen and edit the grid to add a column for job status.  Here are the steps to acheive this ...

First you'll need to add the JobStatus field into the Contacts table since it's not there by default (and the CRM_CustomerList screen is based off the Contacts table)

1. Click Customize > Tables / Fields
    2. Click Contacts.
    3. Select Add a Linked Field and link using Entity and the linked field you want is JobStatus.
    4. Click Add Field.
    5. Click Finished Editing Fields.

Second you'll need to customize the CRM_CustomerList screen...

1. Click Customize > Screens.
    2. Find CRM_CustomerList and rollover it to display the Copy button.  Click Copy.
    3. Step 1, copy from this account.
    4. Step 2, rename it if you like.
    5. Step 3 is very important - select the last option, Add a tab link.  From the drop down you'll probably want to add it to the tab Customers.
    6. Once that finishes find your newly copied screen and click Edit.
    7. Look for the Contacts grid and click the little Edit button on the object. 
    8. Click Next on step 1.
    9. On step 2 you want to add a new column and select the field JobStatus.
    10. Click Finish.
    11. Click Publish then click Save & Close.
    This should give you a great head start with customization.  You've linked a field from one table to another, copied a stock screen and edited a grid.  If you have any questions please post back.  We're here to help.

~C
  • 08-25-2012 6:47 PM In reply to

Answer

This worked thanks :)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)