Method Community

Hiding Part of the Grid?

Last post 12-18-2013 5:12 PM by Dan A.. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-18-2013 10:49 AM

Hiding Part of the Grid?

We have a pricing table that needs to be displayed to all of our Method Users but we wish to limit the updates and additions to only one person.  Unfortunately, it appears that to be able to do updates and additions, we need to have the updatable fields loaded onto the grid for the screen page.  Even though we can select "Hide" as the default, all users are still able to click "Show" and then select the row and perform updates and make new additions, which is what we don't wish to happen.  Is it possible to entirely remove the needed fields from the grid and somehow still be able to access them to update and to add new ones?

Thanks for any help you can provide?

Dan A.

• 12-18-2013 3:24 PM In reply to

Re: Hiding Part of the Grid?

If I were in your shoes I'd create a second screen. One screen has the grid set to be editable, the other one just read only. Put the read-only screen in a tab associated with the user role that most people are part of, and put the editable screen in a tab associated with a different user role that fewer people (like just the editor) are a part of.

I don't think you can do per-control security unless you were to do some more complex conditional visibility, which I haven't personally tried out yet but would definitely be more difficult to implement than the above.

-Stephen B.

• 12-18-2013 3:42 PM In reply to

Answer

Stephen - Thanks for the input!

Dan,

There are few ways you can do this. Stephen's suggestion can be done. Another way would be to create two sections, each with a grid. One grid would be your editable grid with the fields you only want your one person to see. The other section would have a grid the rest would see (without the editable fields). You can then create an "OnScreenLoad" action to hide/show the section according to the user.

Therefore, when the screen loads and its the admin, you can hide the section with the limited grid and show the editable grid. If its any of the other users, the default would be to show the grid with limited fields. To do this, you'd have to use the Show/Hide Section action. 

Hope this helps,

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 12-18-2013 5:12 PM In reply to

Thanks Stephen and thanks Adam!   :) 

Both ideas make sense and are logical.  However, I believe Adam's idea is more along the lines of which I was thinking so I'll give that one a shot first.  Thanks so much guys -- I learn more and more about the great capabilities of Method every day!

Best,

Dan

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)