Method Community

How do I copy an action list?

Last post 09-23-2011 5:36 PM by Method_Paul. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-23-2011 5:08 PM

How do I copy an action list?

Hello all,

My question is about the ability to copy actions or lists of actions from one object to another. What is important is the ability to modify those actions after they have been copied (in other words, not calling an action set)

There are two slightly different scenarios where this question might apply for me:

1) In the Estimate screen, the "Generate Sales Order" isn't a button of its own, but is part of the "More actions..." button. What if I want to make the "Generate Sales Order" a button of its own? I can view and edit the action list by editing the "More actions..." button, but I can't figure out how to copy the list over to a new "Generate Sales Order" button.

2) What if I want to copy an action list in such a way that I can modify some of the actions afterward? I understand that it is possible to call a previously designed action set... but it is not possible to modify the individual actions using that method. Suppose I spent a really long time designing an action list for a button, then I want to make another button that would use a very similar action list, with modifications to only a few actions. Calling an action set wouldn't work for me in that scenario, because I would need the ability to change some of the actions in that set for the specific needs of the new button.

I appreciate any help, cuz I'm itching to get designing without manually reentering near-identical lists with 50 actions a piece!

• 09-23-2011 5:17 PM In reply to

Re: How do I copy an action list?

Answer

Just go to the button where you want to copy the actions to, and right there on the actions list in Step 2 you'll see a radio button that says "Copy Action".  That will give you a list of actions you would copy from.

Wasn't always like that..........back in the day we had to re-create 50 actions.   This happened until we smashed our head against the walls enough times that it made sense to put that feature in!

Paul

• 09-23-2011 5:29 PM In reply to

IT WORKS!

I am filled with joy. Thank you so much for answering this before leaving for the weekend! Now I can spend my friday night with Method Cool

• 09-23-2011 5:36 PM In reply to

:) 

You are welcome.

BTW - there's an extra trick for you.  If you scroll to the BOTTOM of the list of events in the Copy From list, you'll see that very last option will allow you to select to import actions from any other button in any other screen.  We don't use it much because there is a lot of clean up you have to do to realign all the values, but sometimes it is useful.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)