Okay, so I had no problem sending out an email based on a text change using the action set that you gave me:
Here's what I did:
- I copied the Customer List screen.
- Using the Text Change trigger on the Email field, I added the Send Email action.
- For Subject: > Type In > I entered: Sample Email.
- For Email To: > Type In > I entered my personal gmail address.
- For Email From: > Type In > I entered my work email address of firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For Email From Name: > Type In > I entered: Sample.
- For Body: > Type In > I entered: Sample text goes here.
I left everything else blank and it worked like a charm.
I even tested it by changing step #5 to: For Email From: > Value From Session > Email Address. That also worked fine, capturing the email address of the user who is signed into that session of Method.
Are you sure that you have your Email Preferences set up properly? Verify that the info entered in Default Email Preferences is accurate. To do so, go to Customize > My Account > Default Email Preferences. You'll need to have your Email Server address, Email User Name, and Email Password entered properly in there. (Note: It is normal that after clicking Save Settings your Password will disappear - this is for security reasons!) Sounds to me that the connection error message you're getting is caused by maybe an incorrect Email Server address or incorrect Email User Name or Password.
One other thing that you may not have considered. If you're using the Customer Portal or the Starter Portal you may want to consider putting this same action on the Email field within the portal. In the portal, the customer can access their personal information for their own account and change their email address on their own, without needing to contact you directly. Without the Send Email action on the Email field in the portal, you'll miss any changes that customers make to their email addresses via the portal!!!
Please give that a try and let me know what happens! Thanks!