Method Community

Pro Services Invoice with multiple budget lines

Last post 07-26-2011 10:52 AM by Method_Valbon. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-01-2011 11:58 PM

• m.mehr
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2011
    • Henderson, NV
    • Posts 100

Pro Services Invoice with multiple budget lines

I have billable time in two different budget lines on a contract, but when i click Create Invoice, only one of the line items appears on the Create Invoice from Sales Order Lines screen.

Any ideas why both lines would not be showing up to be billed?  I verified that the corresponding QB Sales Order lines have the correct quantities and are not marked as closed.

Thanks!
    Michael 

Michael J. Mehr, CPA.CITP
    michael@mehrcpa.com
  • 07-05-2011 6:32 PM In reply to

• m.mehr
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2011
    • Henderson, NV
    • Posts 100

Re: Pro Services Invoice with multiple budget lines

Not sure how or why, but now both budget lines that contain billable time show up for billing.  I am wondering if it was a QB file not being open issue.

Now my problem is how to convert time entries to detail lines on an invoice, instead of all time entries on the same budget being lumped together on a single invoice detail line.

I would also expect that the description of an activity be brought forward to a resulting Time Tracking record, which would also flow to an invoice line that would include the service date.

I hope I am not expecting the impossible, as these seem to be basic functions of a time and billing system.

Thanks
    Michael 

michael@mehrcpa.com
  • 07-06-2011 3:08 PM In reply to

• m.mehr
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2011
    • Henderson, NV
    • Posts 100

This may drive me crazy... now I can only see one line for billing again.  I had to manually bill my client because I cannot figure out how to have each time tracking entry be on it's own line on the invoice.

Other ProServices gripes:
    When converting an activity to a time entry, the time entry screen does not properly pop up, it seems to be underneath the main screen.

Other than the date parameters at the top of the list of reports on the Reports screen, there are no other options when running reports.  Not every budget/contract with time entries shows up, but there is no way to know why or control the results.

I know I could customize the hec out of my system to provide this functionality, but why?  Where is line between basic expected functionality and customization?  And what happens when improvements to stock screens is made and I have custom versions in production?  Does that mean more customizing?

Is there written documentation for the Pro Services module?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Michael

michael@mehrcpa.com
  • 07-11-2011 3:16 PM In reply to

Hi Michael - Thanks for the conversation and posts.

m.mehr:
    I cannot figure out how to have each time tracking entry be on it's own line on the invoice.

This sounds like it is going to be resolved with a new report that will display the time details on the Invoice report. A new wave of reports will be in the works. Thanks.

m.mehr:
    When converting an activity to a time entry, the time entry screen does not properly pop up, it seems to be underneath the main screen.

This one here may be something related to the browser as we saw it behaves differently when comparing IE, FF and Chrome. I'll look into this further.

m.mehr:
    Other than the date parameters at the top of the list of reports on the Reports screen, there are no other options when running reports.  Not every budget/contract with time entries shows up, but there is no way to know why or control the results.

I agree, the parameters to filter the reports are kind of weak. These were meant to provide users with the basic reports to filter the main table of the report based on the transaction period/dates desired. I'm hoping to add more parameters and features as discussed to give more power and flexibility.

m.mehr:
    Is there written documentation for the Pro Services module?

Yes, it seems that you had missed our Self-Service & Documentation portion of our site as well as the Method Professionl Services Quick Start Guide.

I'll keep you posted on features and updates as they beging to roll out.

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 07-14-2011 11:22 AM In reply to

• m.mehr
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2011
    • Henderson, NV
    • Posts 100

Hi Val,

I have a budget/contract with one detail line, and have successfully generated two invoices based on billable time tracking entries.  Now when I click on the Create Invoice button, I get NO LINES to bill.

This is urgent as it is affecting my ability to generate invoices and get paid :-).

Thanks
    Michael 

michael@mehrcpa.com
  • 07-14-2011 11:44 AM In reply to

Hi Michael,

Let me look into this. Can you tell me if your QB file is open with sync engine connected when you are trying to do this? I’m curious.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 07-14-2011 12:51 PM In reply to

• m.mehr
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2011
    • Henderson, NV
    • Posts 100

When I first tried, it was not, but I just tried again with the QB file open, and made sure to do a sync before trying again.  Still no lines showing up for billing.

michael@mehrcpa.com
  • 07-14-2011 2:15 PM In reply to

Michael,

I’ve run into a similar issues, but only under certain conditions. Before you click ‘Create Invoice...’ can you verify that the ‘Charge Qty’ column on the grid has a value greater than zero for the specific line. If it does not, try refreshing the the grid before creating the invoice.  Under certain circumstances it seems to lose count of the charge qty which is what is used to invoice. I’ll look into this further.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 07-14-2011 2:29 PM In reply to

• m.mehr
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2011
    • Henderson, NV
    • Posts 100

Charge Qty contains the cumulative total of billable hours applied to this budget line.

Budget amt. was zero, but populating that did not change the behavior of the billing function.

Thanks Val!

michael@mehrcpa.com
  • 07-18-2011 3:52 PM In reply to

Michael,

Just wanted to update this thread, I suspect the reason behind this is on Budget / Contracts with decimal values for the charge quantity. The same can be said if you try to invoice from the standard (non Pro Services) Sales Order screen. We’ll be looking into this and keep you posted.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 07-20-2011 8:44 AM In reply to

• m.mehr
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2011
    • Henderson, NV
    • Posts 100

Hi Val,

Any updates on this?  Am I the only Method user that invoices fractions (1/2, 1/4) of hours?

Thanks!
    Michael 

michael@mehrcpa.com
  • 07-20-2011 9:10 AM In reply to

Michael – I will try to get a status update today.

As mentioned earlier I don’t believe this is something specific to actions in the Pro Services app and therefore we need to have the development team look into this.

If you must create an invoice, I you can still go to QB and convert the Sales Order to an Invoice from as a temporary solution to the specific budget / contracts. The beauty is that the time tracking entries will be update to reflect ‘HasBeenBilled’ and the quantity remaining to-be-invoiced will be updated as well.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 07-20-2011 4:41 PM In reply to

Michael,

I am hearing rumour that our development team will soon have a fix within our test environment. I will update you when I know more and of course when this becomes live.

Thanks.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 07-26-2011 8:52 AM In reply to

Michael – can you give this a try and let me know how it goes.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 07-26-2011 10:12 AM In reply to

• m.mehr
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2011
    • Henderson, NV
    • Posts 100

Hi Val,

Looking good, thanks for the efforts.

The only issue I can see is that I took your advice on doing an invoice from within QuickBooks based on your statement, "The beauty is that the time tracking entries will be update to reflect ‘HasBeenBilled’ and the quantity remaining to-be-invoiced will be updated as well."  I only did one invoice like this, and the time billed on that invoice is coming up as unbilled in Method.

How would you suggest fixing this?  Deleting invoice created in QB and rebilling through Method using the same invoice number is how I would probably do it.

Thanks!
    Michael 

michael@mehrcpa.com
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >