Method Community

changing a tag name

Last post 07-16-2013 4:25 PM by Ben B. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-09-2013 5:05 PM

changing a tag name

So one of my users wanted to change one of the names of their tags which had about 2000 contacts with that tag.

Does method change all the contacts that had the old tag name to the new tag name?

Looks like it doesnt, as now when user goes to a contact that had the old tag name on, the tag disapears.

We need some kind of warning that if you change a tag name you need to change all the contacts to the new tag name or just not allow tags to be renamed if any contact has that tag name associated with it.

thanks

• 07-10-2013 10:13 PM In reply to

Re: changing a tag name

Ben,

You can rename the tags by choosing "Manage tags".  The screen should look like below.  You can select the tag and the operation you want to do to it (rename, delete, merge).  If you were to rename it, it will update other contacts with the same tag to the new name.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 07-10-2013 11:16 PM In reply to

it definetly didnt work properly. The user did all that you said but the contacts kept the old tag. Hence when they went to look at the contact the tags were dissaperaing. I had to export and inport all those contacts with the correct tag before all of them lost their tag.

You may want to check it is changing all the tags when renamed. I had about 2000 that didnt. Fortunately I realised what was going before we lost a bunch more.

• 07-11-2013 6:33 AM In reply to

Ben,

The tags were disappearing?  That's definitely strange.  I tested with a tag and about 120 contacts.  All of them changed.  I'll test it further and see if I can replicate any of this.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 07-11-2013 10:34 AM In reply to

Yeh I also tested it with a few and it worked. But seemed like when we had a large group tagged alot got skipped. I know it happened as I exported the contacts and had a few with the new tag and then a few thousand with the old one.

Quite strange. The ones with old ones, once you looked at that contact and moved mouse up to tags the old tag would disappear, probably because the old tag no longer existed. This caused mass panic in the user.Smile

• 07-16-2013 3:37 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi Ben,

I've tested some more and added another hundred or so contacts and still haven't been able to replicate yet.  My best guess is that maybe there might have been some sort of browser caching issue or something interrupted the process before completion. I'll continue to look out for it and let the team know to keep an eye on it also.  Can you tell me which browser you were using when this occurred?

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 07-16-2013 4:25 PM In reply to

I believe the user was using chrome. I'll have to check as not 100% sure, if not chrome it was firefox, i refuse to allow people to use IE Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)