Method Community

Trying to Organize Contacts

Last post 08-13-2013 3:45 PM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-09-2013 1:18 PM

• Shawna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-09-2013
    • Posts 2

Trying to Organize Contacts

Hello. I am trying to import contacts that are leads. They are individuals and not companies.

1) How do I import and then view a list of contacts with Tags? When I import using the Contacts table I cannot find the list anywhere. When I try to import using Customer Leads then I can't import TagList. How should I best do this?

2) How do I do a massive update through an upload. For example, one file I have includes email addresses and Facebook accounts. Another file may have emails and billing addresses. How can I import one file and then update all of the records using the second file?

Thanks!!

• 08-13-2013 9:39 AM In reply to

Re: Trying to Organize Contacts

Hi Shawna,

I have been trying to find a way to answer this question, but I have a question of my own that would help get the best result.  Can you tell me if these contacts you are trying to import have are associate with a Company/Customer or are they just contacts on their own with no other association?  Depending on your answer to this question, I will be able to provide a more direct answer, without having to label different scenarios.

Ben

• 08-13-2013 12:05 PM In reply to

• Shawna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-09-2013
    • Posts 2

Thanks so much Ben. Many of the contacts have a company associated with them. If it makes it easier, I could easily assign a company to those that do not for consistency.

I appreciate your time and help with this :)

• 08-13-2013 3:45 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi Shawna,

1) I think the best way to approach this would be to first import your contacts through the "Customer Leads" Table.  This way you have the ability to add many more fields you probably want included (billing address, shipping address, CompanyName,…), just don't include or worry about the Tags field at this point.  The next step is to manually enter each tag in Method you will be using from your own tag lists.  If you need help finding where to manually add tags, follow this link here.

Now that you have added your contacts to the Customer Leads Table and manually added the tags in Method you will be using from your own list, we can move to the final stage.  Now you can export (from Customize->Integration Tools) your "Contacts Table" (make sure to include the "TagList" field), also include a unique field so that you when you go to import this back into the "Contacts" table (with your added tags for each user), you can match to an existing record, so there aren't any duplicates.  

2) I believe I partially answered this question from my response to question 1.  The best way to import the different fields would first be to add as many fields to one file as you can.  Also from my answer to question 1, you can import to the Customer Leads Table which allows you to enter most of your fields.  However, if you require to add additional information, you can export the "Contacts" table, add certain areas to your records here, then import back to the Contacts Table.

I hope this helps explain this a little better, just reply here if you still require any further clarification.

- Ben

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)