Method Community

Error occured during retrieving value from Customer table

Last post 11-03-2010 1:28 PM by jnoneiliv1. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-24-2010 5:55 PM

• seny
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-15-2010
    • Posts 32

Error occured during retrieving value from Customer table

Can not retrieve value from Customer Table.

What is wrong with Customer Table?

• 09-24-2010 6:32 PM In reply to

• seny
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-15-2010
    • Posts 32

Re: Error occured during retrieving value from Customer table

Answer

I found out the problem was due to the Where clause.

I can NOT use where Customer='whatever', instead, I have to use FullName='TheValue'

No need to reply, just to let other people keep this in mind.

• 09-24-2010 7:42 PM In reply to

Seny - yeah, that makes sense. There is no "Customer" field in the Customer table. Only "FullName".

I'm guessing you were using an Advanced script, rather than what is built in with the dropdown lists.  When you do that be extra careful to match your fields with what is under Customize > Tables / Fields, as there is no validation that we do to make sure your script is accurate.

Glad you caught it!

Paul

• 09-27-2010 12:12 PM In reply to

• seny
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-15-2010
    • Posts 32

However, in my Customer table, I do have a field named "Customer". That is why I get caught. I was using the regular script, since there was a option "Customer" in the dropdown list, I chose it. What could be the reason that my Customer table has a "Customer" field? I did have the Warehouse module installed once, and I uninstalled it.

• 10-30-2010 9:09 AM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Richmond, Virginia, USA
    • Posts 171

Seny,

You've probably solved this by now, but you might have picked up the field "Customer" in your Method tables if you've created a custom field in Quickbooks.  Method will pull in some of the custom fields for you when it synch's.  I think I have seen Method rename these fields if they are duplicates if they interfere with other fields of the same name.

Just an idea.

James

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 11-03-2010 12:55 PM In reply to

Hello folks,

A quick point about QuickBooks custom fields and how they are handled by Method. Custom fields in Quickbooks can of course, take any name. However, should that name a user gives to a custom table in Quickbooks be identical to an existing field in that Method table, Method should append a number (please let us know if it does not) to the field name in order to differentiate between the two fields. A cautionary note however, is that custom fields in Quickbooks are quirky, so take extra care when you name your custom fields.

Regards,
    Denis

• 11-03-2010 1:28 PM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Richmond, Virginia, USA
    • Posts 171

Denis,

I have seen Method correctly append a number to a QB custom field to avoid a naming conflict within Method table field names.  I had a field named "Customer" in my Items table, and thankfully Method appended a number to this field and in every case it looks like Method protects the user from violating QB field integrity.

But, I think it is very good advice to consider a naming convention for QB custom fields as it can become very confusing to sort out fields when designing screens and reports.  It could be a good idea to add a prefix or suffix to the custom field name like CUST[any custom QB name] or [any custom QB name]CUST such that it is easy to distinguish between custom fields added to QB and replicated in Method versus custom fields created in Method.

Cheers,

James

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)