Method Community

Best practice for adding records to simple dropdown tables?

Last post 05-24-2012 12:54 PM by smohyee. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-21-2012 1:57 PM

Best practice for adding records to simple dropdown tables?

When creating a table related to a dropdown field, I'm given the option of initialising the table by adding any records I can think of. Once the table is created, I can no longer add records this way.

My solution has been to design a related screen for the sole purpose of adding records - an "Add/Edit Shipping Method" popup screen, for example. But this is overkill for those simple dropdown tables where I just forgot to add one record to my table when initialising it, and it is unlikely I will need to add another. 

So I just thought I'd check: is there a more convenient way to add a record to an existing table without having to design a screen/action set for it, short of deleting and recreating the table? 

• 05-22-2012 9:21 AM In reply to

Re: Best practice for adding records to simple dropdown tables?

Answer

smohyee:
    is there a more convenient way to add a record to an existing table without having to design a screen/action set for it, short of deleting and recreating the table? 

The best way I've found is to create a table first then create a screen with the table - this way you get an entry screen automatically made.  If you create a dropdown inside a table you don't get the option to create a screen for the newly created table.

~C

• 05-24-2012 8:49 AM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Richmond, Virginia, USA
    • Posts 171

Sam,

I do this also.  The automatically created screen is perfect for those simple drop down tables.  I have about a dozen of them and I just put them on a tab that users wouldn't see so when I want to add drop down values I just go to the auto screen and make entries.

Cheers,

James

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 05-24-2012 12:54 PM In reply to

Both good ideas that I have now adopted. Thanks guys!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)