Method Community

Process Time for Generating Reports

Last post 03-08-2013 8:29 AM by jnoneiliv1. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-07-2013 2:31 PM

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Richmond, Virginia, USA
    • Posts 171

Process Time for Generating Reports

When printing invoices, packing lists, etc., Method is creating a pdf file as part of the report.  To generate the pdf and then display the result for printing, or for e-mail we are seeing processing times in the 1 minute range.  The new process watchdog is advising that the process is running and provides the countdown, which in sa0me ways actually makes it seem like it takes longer, but does provide confidence the process isn't hung.

It does seem like subsequent reports in a session run faster, maybe from some cache, but compared to the response time for the rest of Method, which is quite zippy, the pdf generation appears unnaturally slow.  I don't think the reports are innefficient since for Invoices and one page reports they typically run by recordid, so I think there must be something with the report engine.

Are there any pdf report performance improvements in the pipeline?

Otherwise, Method has been running very stable and fast since the last big round of performance upgrades.  The server work has definitely shown improvements.

Cheers,

James

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 03-07-2013 4:39 PM In reply to

Re: Process Time for Generating Reports

Answer

Hi James,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention we are planning on improving the report generating speed in the next version of Method.

- Sam

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services

Sam Tariq
    Customization Solutions Expert
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 03-08-2013 8:29 AM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Richmond, Virginia, USA
    • Posts 171

Re: Process Time for Generating Reports

Thanks Sam.  The pace of improvements coming from Method is impressive.  I'm sure we'll see great things with report speed when the change comes.

Best Regards,

James

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)