Method Community

What to do about Proxy Servers?

Last post 05-19-2010 8:09 PM by bob. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-04-2010 7:07 PM

• bob
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • Posts 14

What to do about Proxy Servers?

Hello Method, my company uses a proxy server. But It looks like method does not like that. What are the work arounds or what do we need to do in order to get method to work with our Proxy Server?

• 05-05-2010 12:46 PM In reply to

Re: What to do about Proxy Servers?

Hey Bob,

I wanted to tackles this from 2 sides. Starting with using the Website from behind a proxy, then finishing the post with using the Sync Engine from behind a proxy.

You should be able to view the Method Website fine from behind a proxy. If you are having problems loading the site, the proxy may be blocking its content. If you have access to reconfigure the proxy to allow access then try that. You can also try turning down the security settings for the web browser.

Sync Engine:

The Method Sync Engine should work but does depend on the settings of the proxy server. If the proxy settings do not allow you to connect with the Sync Engine, you can configure the Sync Engine to use specific ports. This will allow your IT team to unblock those ports so Method can get out to the internet. If you cannot get onto the internet, the Sync Engine will not work. Below are the steps that are needed to reconfigure you the ports Method will use.

If your IT manager would like to only allow Method to use a specific port range, please follow the steps below:

A. Navigate to the Engine Log folder. 

If you are using Windows XP, the Engine Log folder is typically “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MethodIntegration”.

If you are using Vista or later, the Engine Log folder is typically “C:\ProgramData\MethodIntegration”.

Note: If you are using Vista or later and do not see this folder, you must edit your computer settings to show hidden folders:

B. Create an empty text file called “MethodPush.config”.

C. Edit the MethodPush.config file.

D. Put the following into the contents of the file, where 3000 is an example for the lowest port number in your IT manager’s       desired range, and 3100 is an example of the highest port number in your IT manager’s acceptable range.

<LocalPortMin>3000</LocalPortMin>
    <LocalPortMax>3100</LocalPortMax>

E. Save and close the file.

F. In the Method Integration Engine click Disconnect, and then Connect.

• 05-19-2010 8:09 PM In reply to

• bob
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • Posts 14

Re: What to do about Proxy Servers?

Thank you for the reply. I have currently been dealing with other aspects of method, but i think we got that ironed out.

I will read up on your reply and take a look at what we have and then get back to you for more assistance. Again thank you.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)