Method Community

Opportunity Report

Last post 08-24-2010 4:24 PM by Anonymous. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-15-2010 10:13 AM

Opportunity Report

Hi, I created a report based on the Opportunity table to create a followup process for our "Lead Only" contacts.  I limited the information to only those Lead Only records dated 1/1/10 and later.  When I run the report, it will update with all new leads, but will not update current activities of existing leads.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks :) 

• 07-15-2010 11:30 AM In reply to

Re: Opportunity Report

Answer

Hi Cindy,

When you say you created a report, do you mean you used the Method Report designer to show you a list of Leads? If this is the case then it's working correctly, in that it is just showing you the Leads that matches the criteria. If you would like to create follow up activities, then you need to do customization to a screen. Perhaps, you can add a button and then actions to it, to loop through and find those leads within the criteria and then insert records into table to create the follow ups. The report designer wouldn't do that, it is just a static report showing you all Leads within the criteria.

Hope this helps.

• 07-15-2010 2:16 PM In reply to

Yes, I used the report designer.

I'm not sure I understand your answer.  So the report works for the first time the lead appears on it with all the activities, but will not update activities for the lead after that?  In order to get all activities for that lead onto a report I would have to customize a screen?  Can you clarify a bit more because that doesn't make sense to me?

Thank you.

• 07-16-2010 10:58 AM In reply to

Answer

Hi Cindy,

The report designer allows you to pull information matching a certain criteria and view it in multiple formats. You cannot use the report designer to input data into Method, such as entering activities or creating new contacts; you can only pull information from Method.

In your case, it seems as though you would like to create follow ups for your Leads in which case you need to enter data into Method (insert records into table). Hence, you need to perform customization on Method screens using actions to enter the follow ups.

I'm not sure if you've looked at the List Builder. If you haven't, you may want to review it. It would allow you to fill a list with Leads and then you can schedule follows up for them. The only thing missing is 'date for Lead Only'. Also ,a point to note, is that this screen is based off the list builder table. In your original post you mentioned that you were filtering 'Leads with records dated 1/1/10', is that a field you added? You can review the webinar on the list builder to see if this works for you. The List Builder was covered in webinar 10 - http://www.methodintegration.com/cs/blogs/methodblog/pages/Method-Community-Webinars.aspx

If the list builder doesn't work for you, you'll need to customize a screen in Method. The reason you'll need to customize is because you would like to schedule follow ups and to do so you need to use actions. The report designer would not allow you to do that. If you wish you can base your screen off the Opportunity table and then add actions to loop through and find Leads that meet the 'date' criteria you mentioned and then schedule follow up (insert records into the activity table).

If you need further help with customization you can look at the webinars or contact your Business Consultant. Hope this helps.

• 07-21-2010 9:49 AM In reply to

OK, let me start over because I don't think I'm being clear.  We use the Sales Center for Opportunities.  For each Opportunity, we set up activities to follow up.  This could include a phone call, an email, or mailing information.  These activities all have follow updates &comments on them.  This is the report I set up using the Report Designer.

If I run the report today and Lead A has 1 activity, the report pulls correctly.  Next week, when I run the report and we have added in another activity, it is this information that does not show up on the report.

Does that help?

• 07-22-2010 10:02 AM In reply to

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for clarifying, that helped me to better understand what you are trying to do. Can you let me know if you want to see all activities per customer or would you just like to see activities for a certain week or by a specific status such as not started or completed? Based on your last post it appears as though your report is showing only 1 activity and I'm not sure if that's the 1st activity.

I'm trying to replicate this on my end to further guide you in the right direction. Can you confirm for me the master table and the detail table you selected for the report? Also on the report did you insert a Detail Report?

• 07-22-2010 10:09 AM In reply to

Hi Cindy,

Just want to add, if you are looking to add all activities then please take a look at webinar 8: Introduction to Designing Reports Level 1. There is an example how how to show all activities, this might help you figure out what is missing. To view the webinar, use the following link: http://www.methodintegration.com/cs/blogs/methodblog/pages/Method-Community-Webinars.aspx

• 07-22-2010 11:35 AM In reply to

Hi Amanda, I have watched the webinars multiple times, but I'm going to watch it again to see if I can resolve before I answer your questions.  I'll get back to you.  Thanks!

• 07-22-2010 11:50 AM In reply to

Thanks Cindy, keep me posted.

• 08-05-2010 10:00 AM In reply to

Hi Amanda, I did watch the webinar. I'm not sure it applies directly.  When I tried to follow the direct line, only 1 lead, who is already a customer came up.

Here's what I put together:

Sections are Report Header; Page Header; Group Header 1: Customer, Opp Stage, Phone # and Desc; Detail: Assign To, Act.Opp.Act.Opp.duedatestart .actstatus .acttype .comments.

Filter String Editor reads: AND [OppStage] does not contain Closed and [CreatedDate] is >= 1/1/2010

I used the tables: Activity, Company and Opportunity.

I want this report to show ALL our Leads/Opportunities and ALL the activities assoicated with them.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks!

Cindy

• 08-06-2010 4:20 PM In reply to

Hi Cindy,

I'm trying to replicate this on my side. I'll let you know if I need further clarification. Thanks for the information.

• 08-11-2010 12:41 PM In reply to

Hi Cindy,

Can you try dragging the fields you have in the Group Header section into the Detail section? Usually labels are added to the Group Header section to denote the name of the fields in the Detail section. Try this out and let me know if it helps.

Also I'm not sure where the 'Filter String Editor' you are referring to is located. I entered the filters on the 'Generate Report' action. I was able to enter only one filter where Opportunity Stage does not contain Closed. When I tried to add another 'where' for the Created Date I wasn't able to put in a condition. I'll look into this and update you.

Another option that may work for you, if you just want to view this data in an excel, would be to add a 'Export to Excel' action on a button under the grid. You can then specify on the grid the two filters and then export the list to excel. To learn more about filtering the grid you can view webinar 15: http://www.methodintegration.com/cs/blogs/methodblog/pages/Method-Community-Webinars.aspx

• 08-18-2010 8:03 AM In reply to

Hi again!  OK, so I tried moving the fields into the detail section; no change in the report.  However, maybe I need to further understand the difference in the 2 sections.  I'm going to look into that.

The 'Filter String Editor' can be found in the report designer.  If you click outside the report, look under Properties, Data, Filter String.  When you click Filter String, the pop up is titled Filter String Editor.

Unfortunately an Excel download isn't the best option for us.  Our work is mostly field work, and we need this information at our fingertips.  I added a button to the Opp Screen in our Sales Tab so it's easy for us to get to the report.  Being a green company, we do not print at all.  That's why I chose the report and the button.

Cindy

• 08-18-2010 4:57 PM In reply to

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for getting back to me on the Filter String Editor, I'll look into it some more and get back to you on the possibility of filtering those 2 conditions.

Please let me know if you have any luck with moving the fields to the detail section.

• 08-24-2010 4:21 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi Cindy,

I tried using the Filter String and it appeared to work fine. I was able to see all opportunities that match the 2 criteria for Opportunity stage and Close Date.

So based on my findings I think it's where your fields are located on the report - this is my assumption without looking at your report and the steps I took. It seems the only difference from what you outlined is that your fields are in a different section.

You can also try building a new report, just add a few fields, apply your filter and see if all the opportunities show up that meet the criteria.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >