Method Community

credit card numbers disappearing ...

Last post 05-14-2012 4:46 PM by Anonymous. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-10-2012 7:04 PM

credit card numbers disappearing ...

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is my problem or not but have noticed recently that accounts that I've had for quite a while have lost their credit card numbers ... it is possibly a fluke and I've done very little investigation to see how widespread it is but thought I'd ask.

Is there a known issue with regards to credit card numbers stored in quick books being deleted when MethodCRM is introduced?  I've seen a few posts about this issue but did not see any resolutions and/or answers.

If someone could please fill me in I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Wylie 

• 05-11-2012 1:09 PM In reply to

Re: credit card numbers disappearing ...

Answer

wmousseau:
    lost their credit card numbers

When you say lost is there no information in the field?  By default only QuickBooks can store this information - if you enter this field into Method, QuickBooks with store it and send us back xxxxxxx000 instead of the actual number for secuirty.  There should be no reason to store the credit card information inside Method.

Please confirm.

~C 

• 05-11-2012 1:25 PM In reply to

Hi Chad,

I was not aware that Method did not store the info. and have seen the data passed back to method in the format above.  That is not the issue in this situation, however, as the # was stored in QB.  I did just recently update it in QB though and actually saved and went back into QB to make sure it updated before I threw the paper I wrote it down on away, so I know it was there.

Just so I understand the process ... we typically make our updates in QB ... that may change going forward but at this point we really haven't begun using Method for anything, just going through and feeling it out.  I was primarily interested because I was looking for a "Customer Portal" that would integrate with QB and allow my customers to see their invoices and pay online.  We have yet to roll the service out as I want to make sure everything is working properly before I do so.

So, back to the process.  We make an update in QB related to the customers credit card info.  We hit save and it is in QB.  A box then pops up that asks if we want to synch with Method (language may be different but that is the jist of it) ... at that point the credit card info. is xxx out with just the last 4 showing ... typically I just hit okay and move forward.  I just recently talked to my bookkeeper about it and she goes through the same process but copies the full credit # into the method synch popup (in place of the xxx out #) because she said she get and error if she does not ... I don't think I've received any errors but honestly don't do it that much so I'm not sure.  Maybe the problem lies there?  Other then that we really don't do anything with Method at this point.

Let me know your thoughts ...

Thanks,

Wylie

• 05-11-2012 1:39 PM In reply to

Hi Chad,

I don't know that I really answered your question ... there is nothing in the credit card # field, it is blank.  Everything else is still there, however ... name, expiration, billing & payment type.

Thanks,

wylie

• 05-11-2012 2:09 PM In reply to

Wylie,

A few things about the Credit Card field here...

• Inside QuickBooks, under Edit > Preferences > Integrated Applications > Company Preferences 
    • Select the Method Integration Engine (MIE) for use with QuickBooks and click properties
    • Under the Access Rights tab, the last checkbox is to Allow this application access to SSN, CC numbers etc..
      • If the box is checked then QB will always return the CC number as xxxx0000 with the last 4 digits (and it'll keep the last 4 digits updated if you make changes later)
      • If the box is un-checked then QB will send nothing back to Method.  Method can send the info to QB but QB will wipe it out and blank out that field for us.
    You mentioned in your process that the MIE on your computer pops up a message and allows your bookkeeper to enter the CC number and store it?  I'm not sure how that is possible.  The MIE is a lister and does not have any input fields when it does the sync.  Maybe clarify where that popup happens so we can help out more.

Back to the original question, the Credit Cards numbers can disappear under certain circumstances (noted above).  Most times the number will comes back as xxxx0000.  Does this answer your question?
    ~C

• 05-11-2012 4:39 PM In reply to

Hi Chad,

I started playing with this and it is really acting strange ...

1. Went to a customer acct in QB that had credit card data.
    2. Changed the last digit of credit card #. Hit Okay
    3. Payment Application Popup "You have updated information for "Customer"  Do you also wish to update this customer's credit card/ach # in the encrypted database ..." Hit Yes
    4. Customer Update popup shows credit card info w/card # XXX out except last 4 digits.  The last 4 digits match what I just did in QB.  Hit Okay.
    5. Go back into QB to check and the QB # has reverted back to the # prior to my change ???  I did it a bunch of times and it happened repeatedly ... though there were a few cases where the changes stuck?

I also selected "NO" at the "Payment Application Popup" and did not update the encrypted database ... when doing it this way my QB data reflected correctly.

So, I think something is going on with the Payment Application Popup ...

I'm still trying different scenarios to see if I can recreate the actual deletion of the credit card # ... at this point I haven't been able to but I suspect it has something to do with the "Payment Application Popup" process as well.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts/insight.

Thanks,

Wylie

• 05-14-2012 4:46 PM In reply to

wmousseau:
    Please let me know if you have any thoughts/insight.

The Method Integration Engine does not trigger any popups in this regard.  It sounds like this is a popup from QuickBooks so we have no control over the information in that window.

If you think there's an issue with the Sync engine you can call into support and we can make sure everything's working fine.

~C

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)