Method Community

Add activity then clicking save generates an error.

Last post 12-16-2013 9:31 AM by Method_Jamil. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-30-2012 4:27 PM

Add activity then clicking save generates an error.

Nancy emailed in the following question:

When I click on Add activity then save I get this following message:

The page at https://onlicccomr3eco3fvoqfhrp26sj0lj6k-a-gm-opensocial.googleusercontent.com says:
    undefined

• 05-30-2012 5:22 PM In reply to

Re: Add activity then clicking save generates an error.

Nancy -

Does this happen to you every time you add an activity, or just in certain circumstances?

Has this ever worked for you?

Which browser? (i.e. Chrome/FireFox) Which version (i.e. Chrome v 19).

Paul

• 05-31-2012 2:54 PM In reply to

• Nancy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2012
    • Posts 4

Hi Paul,

Using Chrome, Version 19.0.1084.52

Everytime, the error message is for contacts already in Method.  

If the contact is not already in Method and I try to add them (from the blue bar at the bottom of the e-mail), then I get the add contact screen with the bubble round endlessly trying to process and I eventually just give up, the contact never gets added to Method. 

It's never worked for me.  It is however working for my business partner here, bill@woodentubs.com.  I set us up for the beta, not him if that gives you any clues.  

Thanks, nancy

• 06-01-2012 12:55 PM In reply to

Nancy - thanks for the extra details. 

We haven't had any similar reports on something like this, so we're going to have start with a clean slate on this.

I'll look into what could cause such a boring an uninformative message of "undefined". I'm hoping that whatever the cause of that one will be the solution to the endless spinny.

You should hear more from me shortly....

Paul

• 06-01-2012 1:57 PM In reply to

Nancy -

Got a little closer I think.

My hunch is that there is something blocking our ability to read the email. In some situations we use something called "IMAP" to read parts of your email that are not normally available in a gadget, such as what attachments exist on the email.

The 2 places we use IMAP are the two places you, for some reason, are having problems. 

What I've done is made it so that you should now get a more informative message as to why that is, other than "undefined"!! 

Can you try adding an activity to an existing contact again, and let me know what the error is this time?

Thanks,

Paul

• 06-01-2012 3:02 PM In reply to

• Nancy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2012
    • Posts 4

Hi Paul,

Yes, getting more detail regarding the error messages.
    This is the message when I try to add a contact:
    Failed Loading Add Contact: Problem retrieving attachments from your gmail: Message not found
    This is the message when I try to add an activity to an existing contact:
    Failed Saving Activity: Problem retrieving attachments from your gmail: Message not found

Thanks,
    Nancy

• 06-03-2012 3:29 PM In reply to

Hi Nancy -

Thanks for providing that information. I've been looking into it, but so far coming up empty.

Lots of other software developers complaining about similar issues of Gmail IMAP not working.....but the complaints seem to be old and Google appears to have resolved them. We are not seeing this in other situations so far, so I'm trying to find out why your scenario is unique.

I added a little more the message that comes back. This time it should contain the MessageID of the email it can't find.

BTW - I can duplicate what you are seeing, but only in fake scenarios.

(Fake Scenario 1) I open up an email in Gmail in a browser, then open Gmail in another browser and delete that same email, and then return back to the original email that is still open, and try to save an activity. The error is legit, since the email no longer exists.

(Fake Scenario 2) If I try to use the gadget directy from the Trash folder - I get the same legit error, since the message is deleted.

A few more questions.....

(1) Does this happen on every email, or just the one you are testing it out on. I'm assuming by now you've tried it on a bunch...but I just want to make sure.

(2) Which folder are you accessing the email from? Inbox? Or another folder?

(3) Can you let me know one of the MessageID that is giving you an issue (it'll come up in the message, case-senstive). You can private message me the ID for security (but only you have access to that email based on the ID, so it's safe).

(4) Are you signed into Google with more that one account at the same time (info@ and nancy@)?

Hmmmmm.....writing #3 and #4 above just gave me an idea......due to your original problem you had first setup the gadget under one profile (info@), and then tried another profile (nancy@)......so what if we still have your authentication in a mixed mode.....you are viewing emails from nancy@, but somehow still authenticating under info@.  The MessageIDs are only valid for the person whose inbox they are in. So info@ cannot read emails in @nancy's mail, and vice versa.

So that leads me to #5.

(5) Whose inbox are you trying to use the gadget in? @nancy, or @info?

Thanks for your patience.....I think we're getting closer.

Paul 

• 06-04-2012 5:46 PM In reply to

• Nancy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2012
    • Posts 4

Hi Paul,

Happens with every e-mail, have tried various ones over a period of time.  I've always been in Nancy@woodentubs.com in my inbox, and that account alone, when I've experienced the issue.  

Sorry, not following you on #3.  Here's a message I got today trying to add an activity for an exisitng contact.  

Failed Saving Activity: Problem retrieving your message (ID 137a448aa0be5909) from gmail: Message not found - it may have been deleted or moved since the email was opened.

Just for kicks I went ino Info@woodentubs.com to try the same activity and it beagn walking me through the set up process for the link between gmail and Method.  I didn't do anything, just canceled out.  

I'm wondering if I set my integration relationship up correctly.  Do you think there's any value in starting over?

Thanks for staying on this, I really need to get it resolved.  Feel like I'm, loosing productivity.

Thanks, Nancy

• 06-04-2012 7:33 PM In reply to

Nancy -

Okay, good news, I think. Your gmail was still assocated with your info@ email address in a couple places.  I have deleted everything, so that you can start fresh.  Please make sure you are signed into Gmail with nancy@ and try to use the "Sign into Method CRM" link again.

I've got a good feeling that you'll be up and running after this. 

Please let me know, either way.

Paul

• 06-07-2012 2:50 PM In reply to

• Nancy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2012
    • Posts 4

Hi Paul,

Sorry about the delay, I was traveling for a couple days there.  

Followed your guidance and yes, all seems to be working ok, thank you.  

I'l let you know if further issues related to this surface but seems good to go.

Thank you again for your help.   Nancy

• 06-07-2012 8:12 PM In reply to

Nancy - great, thank you for getting back to me and letting me know. That's great news.

I appreciate your patience. While we're in beta, I expected a few things like this, but this one was a bit more of a mystery than I would have liked!

Paul

• 12-16-2013 9:31 AM In reply to

This is another test.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)