Method Community

Customized Job Numbers

Last post 09-19-2012 9:23 AM by Anonymous. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-11-2012 3:34 PM

• jeremy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-11-2012
    • Posts 5

Customized Job Numbers

Hello - when I add a new opportunity, its gives me a job number of 1. And the next opportunity will be 2. Is there a way to customize it so every time me or my employess enter a new job that it will have their initials. For example: I would like my new job to be added as JW2012-1. (my initials, the year and the job number) so the next job opp would be JW2012-2. And if my employee did it, it would be JL2012-1.

• 09-11-2012 5:01 PM In reply to

Re: Customized Job Numbers

hello jeremy,

Those numbers are actually RecordID numbers auto-populated by Method CRM so you're not going to be able to change those.  What you could do is add a custom field to the Opportunity table and use that for display instead of the RecordID column we're currently using.  I'll post a little more detail on this change for you tomorrow!

~C

• 09-12-2012 9:32 AM In reply to

• jeremy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-11-2012
    • Posts 5

Thank you Chad, please let me know how to go about what you replied with. 

• 09-12-2012 12:21 PM In reply to

Hi jeremy,

I was considering the best way for you to do this and I think using the opportunity name field for this information would be best.  I'm going to do the customization on my account today and give you a step by step before end of day.  To achieve this task I'll be doing the following:

• Use a retrieve value from table to get that last opportunity ID
    • Use a character function to merge the initials with the year, add a dash, then add the record id

~C

• 09-13-2012 12:14 PM In reply to

Answer

jeremy, 

Here's a step by step to get this working...

1. Click Customize > Screens and look for the CRM_NewOpportunity screen, rollover this and click Copy.
      - when making a copy please make sure that you:
      - Step 1: copy from This Account.
      - Step 3: you want to Add a Tab Link to the Opportunities tab.

2. Once that finishes find the copy of your new screen in the list and click Edit.
    3. In the screen designer click Edit on the button in the header section that says Hidden Function. 
    4. Click Next to Step 2.
    5. Click the ... button beside the Event drop down.
    6. Click the radio button for Add New Event.
    7. Call your new event Create Opportunity Name.
    8. Click Finish.

Next here's the list of actions you'll want to add... (see my screenshot here)

1. Retrieve Value From Table:
      from table: Opportunity
      - from field: RecordID
      - where field: RecordID
      - value is: Type In: >0
      - If multiple results Retrieve Last (very important!)
      - place value in: action result: lastOppNum

2. Assign Value to Action Result:
      - action result name: OpportunityName
      - value: value from session: User- Sales Rep Initial 

3. Assign Value to Action Result:
      - action result name: year
      - value: value from session: Current- Date / Time

4. Date Function:  
      - choose date value: action result: year
      - function: format date: yyyy
      - action result name: year

5. Character Function: 
      - value: action result: OpportunityName 
      - action: join
      - join to: action result: year 
      - action result name: OpportunityName 

6. Character Function: 
      - value: action result: OpportunityName 
      - action: join
      - join to: type in: - 
      - action result name: OpportunityName  

7. Basic Math Calculation:
      - first value: action result: lastOppNum
      - equation: +
      - second value: type in: 1
      - no rounding
      - action result name: lastOppNum

8. Character Function: 
      - value: action result: OpportunityName 
      - action: join
      - join to: action result: lastOppNum
      - action result name: OpportunityName 

9. Enter Value Into Field On Screen:
      - update field or object: Opportunity Name<span style='color:red' class='pspan'><b>*</b></span>
      - with value: action result: OpportunityName 

Next you want to adjust the field for Opportunity Name on screen so it's set to read only, this makes sure nobody can change the name on you.  

1. Click Edit on the field for Opportunity Name<span style='color:red' class='pspan'><b>*</b></span>
    2. Click Advanced Options then make sure Read Only is checked.

Last step for this is to trigger the actions you built OnScreenLoad...

1. Click Advanced... beside the screen name
    2. Click Next to step 2.
    3. under the Action drop down select Call Another Action Set
    4. under the current action sets drop down look for: Header >> Hidden Function_Create Opportunity Name

Please take note that the action relies on the logged in user being assigned as a sales rep so the initials are available from the session.  There are 2 places you need to make this change:

1. Click the tab group drop down to the left of your username and switch this to QuickBooks
    2. Click the Lists tab and, assuming your Method users are also employees, select their Name and input their Initials.
    3. Click Save & New.  Do this for all your Method users.
    4. Switch your tab group back to CRM.
    5. Click Customize > Users.
    6. Click Edit beside a user the look for the Link to Employee / Vendor / OtherName (SalesRep): drop down.
    7. Select the appropriate name to match the Method user here and click Finish.

I want to make sure you get a good head start while customizing but I want to caution that I won't be able to provide a detailed step by step for every question.  If you get stuck along the way please post here and I'll do my best to help out.  You may also want to consider booking a training session where you can speak directly to a consultant on staff here.  These sessions are hugely informative and you can include other people in the session.
  • 09-16-2012 9:53 AM In reply to

• jeremy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-11-2012
    • Posts 5

I did all of that, thank you! But when I go to Add New Opportunity it doesnt add all that I have done. It still says Job Opp #2. Is there a step that I am missing?

• 09-17-2012 10:08 AM In reply to

jeremy:
    It still says Job Opp #2

Where do you see this?

In the example code I gave you your new opportunity screen shouldn't have an input field for opportunity name, this area should be filled with when the page loads.  Does this happen?  

I suspect you're seeing Opp #2 from the Opportunities List screen - have a look at my screenshot below, this is a snip from my Opportunities List screen.

I still see the Opportunity Number in the second column but my Opp name is showing the changes I made, CR2012-24.

jeremy:
    Is there a step that I am missing?

It's possible - double check the changes you made.  If you made the changes correctly then you should see the opportunity name change as soon as the page loads.  If not then it's possible you missed a step.

~C

• 09-17-2012 10:23 AM In reply to

• jeremy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-11-2012
    • Posts 5

Hi - this is the area that I got messed up I think:

Please take note that the action relies on the logged in user being assigned as a sales rep so the initials are available from the session.  There are 2 places you need to make this change:
    1. Click the tab group drop down to the left of your username and switch this to QuickBooks
    2. Click the Lists tab and, assuming your Method users are also employees, select their Name and input their Initials.
    3. Click Save & New.  Do this for all your Method users.
    4. Switch your tab group back to CRM.
    5. Click Customize > Users.
    6. Click Edit beside a user the look for the Link to Employee / Vendor / OtherName (SalesRep): drop down.
    7. Select the appropriate name to match the Method user here and click Finish.
    Number, 5,6,7 do not work. When I go to the drop down box, it doesnt say my name. It just lists my vendors.
  • 09-18-2012 12:57 PM In reply to

jeremy:
    Number, 5,6,7 do not work. When I go to the drop down box, it doesnt say my name. It just lists my vendors.

In this case you need to make sure you add your employee's as sales reps so they're visible in that list.  To do this switch to the QuickBooks tab group (using the dropdown by your username) and click the Lists tab.  Next click the Sales Rep tab link and add in your employee's as sales reps here - it's important to give them initials because we're using this through your actions.  Once you've added them as sales reps then go back to the users tab link and link your Method user to the correct employee.  After that try out your new opportunity screen and this should be working for you.  

~C

• 09-18-2012 6:02 PM In reply to

• jeremy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-11-2012
    • Posts 5

this is what I am getting. There is no sales rep tab. And the opp still doesnt show the number.

Method Top Image
    Existing Items
    Hide
    Method Top Image
     Filter By View: All Active ItemsAll Inactive ItemsAll Items
    Go to...
    Full Name
    Description
    Account
    Price
    Delete
    Go to... Jeremy  JW Sales
    Delete
    Go to... Taryn TB Sales
    Delete
    Show/Hide columns Fewer rows More rows Refresh Grid
      Records 2 of 2.     

Select Columns to Show
    Note: This is a temporary setting. You must customize the screen to set the preferences permanently.

Go to... Full Name Description Account RecordID
    Price Delete
    Update | Cancel

and this

Existing Opportunities List
    To edit an existing Opportunity click the Go To... link. If you'd like to create a new Opportunity, click the New Opportunity tab link.
     Filter By View: My Closed OpportunitiesMy Lost OpportunitiesMy OpportunitiesMy Opportunities in pipelineMy Opportunities in pipeline with no ActivitiesMy Opportunities in pipeline with no Last ActivityMy Opportunities in pipeline with no Next ActivityMy Won OpportunitiesShared Closed OpportunitiesShared Lost OpportunitiesShared OpportunitiesShared Opportunities in pipelineShared Opportunities in pipeline with no ActivitiesShared Opportunities in pipeline with no Last ActivityShared Opportunities in pipeline with no Next ActivityShared Won Opportunities
    Go To...
    Opp. #
    Close Date
    Assigned To / Opp. Name / Stage
    Contact / Name / Company
    Description
    Probability
    Amount
    Pipeline
    Last Activity
    Next Activity
    Go To...
    Sep-18-2012 Jeremy
    Well
    Design
    Alex 
    CRB
    CRB
    25%
    Go To...
    Sep-21-2012 Jeremy
    Well
    Design
    Alex 
    CRB
    CRB
    25%
    Go To...
    Nov-29-2012 Jeremy
    Covent
    Design
    Patrick
    Green
    Green
    25%

Show/Hide columns Fewer rows More rows Refresh Grid
      Records 3 of 3.     
  • 09-19-2012 9:23 AM In reply to

jeremy:
    this is what I am getting. There is no sales rep tab. And the opp still doesnt show the number.

Jeremy,

I posted my step by step to give you a good head start and I know the solution I posted works.  To review all your actions to see what's not working would be considered paid support.  My advice to you is to re-do the customization and follow the step by step closely.  I suspect you're missing a crucial step along the way - in your post above your opp names are well and covent so you're definitely missing an action which set's the opp name.

~C

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)