With all the new browsers that emerged over the past three weeks, we're happy to announce that today's Method update plays nice with some familiar faces (Internet Explorer and Firefox) and some not-so-familiar faces (Chrome and Safari).
First some housekeeping
Please turn Compatibility Mode Off - If you are using IE8 (Internet Explorer 8) or IE9 you'll see a change in our recommendations on Method's login page. Previously, we displayed a recommendation to have Compatibility Mode "on". With this new update, we are now recommending the opposite! If you are using IE8 or IE9, please do the following:
- Click ALT on your keyboard so that the Tools menu is shown.
- Click Tools > Compatibility View Settings.
- Select methodintegration.com.
- Click Remove.
- Click Close.
What's in this update?
- Chrome Compatibility
Finally, full compatibility with Chrome. This is has been my browser of choice for Method while using it in the "labs" for the past two months. It kills Internet Explorer and Firefox 3 in terms of performance, and battles with Firefox 4 for the preferred browsers now used by Method staff. Get it here: www.google.com/chrome
- Safari Compatibility
Yes, Method now fully supports Safari. If you are a Mac user, you already have Safari and should be jumping up and down with joy!
- IE9 Compatibility
Microsoft announced some great new speed enhancements with their latest browser. On our tests running Method, IE9 is considerably faster than IE8. This is especially true with "Compatibility Mode" off (see housekeeping above). Get it here: http://ie.microsoft.com
- Firefox 4 Compatibility
We also applaud Firefox 4's speed enhancements. The new update is compatible with FF4, and, in my opinion, is well worth the free price tag, and simple download. Get it here: http://mozilla.com/firefox
- Updated Method Report Designer - The updated Method Report Designer now supports HTML in labels. Here's how you can use it.
a) Close the Method Report Designer if it is open.
b) Open the Method Report Designer again. It should download the update automatically. If not, you can install it by visiting: http://www.methodintegration.com/MethodReportDesigner/MethodReportDesigner.application
c) Drag a Rich Text object onto your report.
d) In the properties of the Rich Text object, find Data Bindings > Html > Binding.
f) Choose the field that contains HTML. This is typically an Activity.Comments field, or Solution.SolutionBody.
g) Preview your report. You'll see that your text no longer appears with HTML tags in it, and instead shows color, bold, underlined, and all the other HTML formatting you need.
- Updated HTML Editor - You'll love the new HTML editor. It is smoother, faster loading, and has a new Full Screen mode feature. Try it!
- Updated Calendar - You'll also notice a smoother, faster calendar component was introduced. Yes, we have been busy.
- Auto Ref Number - Due to a common request, we have added the capability for Method to do the auto-numbering for invoices, sales orders, sales receipts, purchase orders and estimates. This means that you no longer need to have QuickBooks open when generating transactions. To turn this on, go to QuickBooks > Synchronize, and select the Auto Ref Numbers in Method? checkbox.
- Default currency symbol - Under Customize > Display, you'll now be able to specify the default currency symbol that appears in Method screens.
Big thanks to Method_Victor who was in charge of this project, and to the rest of the development team for all their efforts.
I highly recommend upgrading your browser. It's free, and it takes hardly any time. Use the comments section below to let us know what your favorite browser is when using Method.