Solution No. 184
The documents tab is a central place to access all documents stored in the document library. Through this tab you an see a list of all existing documents you have access to, upload new documents and edit existing documents.
Adding documents to the Document Library
Initially your document library won’t have any documents so you and your users will need to upload documents using the New Document tab link. To upload new documents to the document library, follow the steps below.
- In Method CRM, click Documents > New Document.
- Click Upload for Document.
- In the upload attachment pop-up click Browse if you are uploading to Method or to SmartVault. If you choose to the option to “Link to an existing URL” provide the URL for you attachment.
- Click Upload Attachment.
- Click Save & Close.
- In the Name box, type in a name for your document.
- For the Folder dropdown list to select a folder to help categorize your document.
- For the Assigned To dropdown list, select who this document is assigned to. By default, this will always have the signed in users username.
- In the Description box, type in a brief description of the document.
Remember: This description should detail specifics you or others users may want to know about the document when looking at the document list. You should refrain from putting comments specific to transactions or other CRM activities if you intend on reusing this document by creating additional document links. Don’t worry, you’ll be able to include those notes directly on document links you create by using the notes field.
Tip: You can also spell check the description by clicking More actions > Spell Check - Description.
- For the Internal checkbox, uncheck only if they document is going to be used outside your company. Be default, this checkbox is checked.
- Click Save, Save & New or Save & Edit.
Viewing existing documents in the Document Library
All documents stored in the document library can be accessed by clicking Documents > Documents List in Method CRM. By default, the documents list will display the logged in users documents however you can change the filter view to displays all shared documents. The filter views available for this grid are:
- My Active Documents - displays all documents assigned to the currently logged in user that are marked as active.
- My Documents - displays all documents assigned to the currently logged in user.
- Shared Active Documents - displays all documents that the currently logged in user has access to based on their shared records settings and that are marked as active.
- Shared Documents - displays all documents that the currently logged in user has access to based on their shared records settings.
The last column called “Document” will display a preview of the document if it is an image. If the document is another type, the icon will change appropriately.
Editing documents in the Document Library
To edit a document from the Documents tab, follow the steps below.
- In Method CRM, click Documents > Documents List.
- Click Go To... next to the document you wish to edit. This will take you to a new tab link called “Edit Document”.
From this screen you can update the document name, folder, who the document is assigned to, mark the document internal or update the document that was uploaded.
Document Is Active? - allows you to mark the document as being active or inactive. This becomes useful in situations where an uploaded document has become outdated and is only needed for historic purposes.
Creating new Document Links from the Edit Document screen
Document links allow you to reuse a document more than once by creating multiple links to the document in Method CRM.
To create a new link, follow the steps below.
- Click New Document Link. The New Document Link pop-up screen will appear.
- In the Notes box, type in notes that are specific to this link.
Tip: You can also spell check the notes by clicking More actions > Spell Check - Notes.
- In the lower portion of the pop-up you can relate the link with a lead/customer/vendor/employee, activity, opportunity, case, solution or transaction.
Remember: a document link can only be related to one lead/customer/vendor/employee, activity, opportunity, case, solution or transaction. However, you can create an unlimited amount of document links for one document.
- Click Save & Close. The document link will now appear in the existing document links grid.
Editing existing Document Links from the Edit Document screen
This section of the screen will display all the document links for the current document that is being viewed. You can also edit any of the existing links by clicking Edit Link...
Deleting documents in the Document Library
To delete a document from the Documents tab, follow the steps below.
- In Method CRM, click Documents > Documents List.
- Click Go To... next to the document you wish to delete. This will take you to a new tab link called “Edit Document”.
- Click More actions… > Delete Document.
- Click OK.
Remember: deleting a document will also delete all document links for that document.